Airports' Planning, Construction & Air Service Updates February 2014
NADIN Connection for Non-federal AWOS: Contract was awarded to Vaisala. Equipment has been installed. FAA paperwork is in progress. Camp Guernsey work has been completed. BDO
Statewide Communications Project: Work has been completed. Final inspection will be conducted soon. BDO
Pavement Management: We’ve revised the format based on feedback and are in process of rolling out the new version to about 2/3 of the airports. Hope to have a fair number reviewed and accepted prior to the next WACIP update, which should greatly facilitate the evaluation of project requests involving pavement. CLB
Runway Profier: Baseline profiling to commence during February to capture the optimum freeze conditions. Airports scheduled are Evanston, Ft. Bridger, Kemmerer, Pinedale, Big Piney, and Afton. TPD
2014 Statewide Crack Seal: Bid Opening is February 13. Division goal is to select a contractor for commission approval at February Commissioner’s meeting. In the event the contractor is not selected in time, a special session may be required. TPD
GIS Webpage: The training portion of this project is complete. The department has a data base platform for 85% of our airport system. Currently, staff is working with WYDOT’s GIS department to inter-phase our data base to a basic viewer via a webpage to the general public. An additional and separate controlled access viewer will be available to our consultants and airport managers. CLB/TPD
2014 Design Standards Inventory Update: The system planning grant has been received from the FAA for this project. Consultant selection is ongoing. CLB
2014 Seal Coat and Marking Projects: Airports approved through the WACIP are currently developing plans and specifications for a May14’ letting. The airports in this year’s program are Big Piney, Casper, Dixon, Jackson, Laramie, Riverton, Torrington, and Wheatland. TPD
WACIP Equipment, Design, and Construction Projects: Listed below are projects currently in progress and grouped by project manager.
- Buffalo – Construct Taxilane: Project is in the process of being awarded.
- Casper – Construct Customs Office: Design phase. Rehab TW’s A, B1 & C: Project was awarded to Hedquist Construction of Casper, WY for $6,796,026.80. Work will begin in the spring.
- Cheyenne – Obstruction Survey: Consultant: SEH, Inc, Denver, CO. Work is in progress. Rubber Removal R/W 9/27 and Mark Pavements: Bid Schedules I and II were awarded to Maxwell Asphalt of Salt Lake City, UT in the amount of $304,855.00 and Bid Schedule III to Modern Electric Co. of Casper, WY in the amount of $99,370.00. Rubber removal and marking work is finished. Electrical work is ongoing.
- Cody – Rehab Runway 4/22: Project is in the design phase.
- Dubois – Design of Runway Realignment: 60% plans have been provided for review.
- Gillette – Replace DME and Shelter: Work is 95% complete.
- Kemmerer – Rehab Apron and Relocate Fuel System to meet FAA Design Standards: In design.
- Laramie – New Fixed Base Operator/Pilots Planning Building: In design.
- Lusk – Install New Medium Intensity Runway Lighting (MIRL) System: Work is 98% complete.
- Thermopolis – Construct New Airport Phase III (Earthwork, Drainage, Paving & Electrical): Project was awarded to Paul Reed construction of Scottsbluff, NE for $6,784,990.26. Project is shutdown for the winter. BDO
- Casper –Acquire Blower: In final closeout process.
- Riverton – Dump Truck and Plow – Notice to Proceed was issued 10/30/13. The contractor now has 180 days to complete delivery.
- Sheridan – Purchase SRE (Blower) – Notice to Proceed issued and expected delivery is end of February.
- Pinedale – Purchase SRE (Carrier Vehicle) – Initial review of design report and specifications has been completed and comments forwarded to sponsor.
- Lusk – Maintenance Tractor – application and engineering agreement have been received and project is currently in design. GH
IFP New Procedures: Information from FAA IFP Production Plan. Link:
RNAV (GPS) RWY 14 , ORIG-A, Under Development, Published
RNAV (GPS) RWY 32 , ORIG-A, Under Development, Published
RWL Rawlins Municipal/Harvey Field-
RNAV(GPS) RWY 22, ORIG-A, Awaiting Publication, Scheduled Publication 4/3/14 CLB
Statewide Economic Impact Study:
This project is rapidly nearing completion. The consultant has submitted draft documents for review and the Division is currently working through modifications with the consultant.
The project scope dictates six work products to be produced in this study:
- Technical Document – The first draft has been received by the Division and is currently being reviewed.
- Statewide Executive Summary – This document has gone through a couple revisions and is very near final completion.
- Statewide Air Service Summary – This document is complete and has been delivered to the Division.
- Individual Legislative District Summaries – These documents are complete and have been distributed to the Legislators.
- Individual Airport Summaries – This document has also gone through a couple revisions and is very near final completion.
- Methodology Guide & Training – This document is also complete and will be delivered during training session on February 16.
All documents will be produced and distributed to Aeronautics Commissioners and Airport Sponsors, as appropriate, likely by the end of March. In addition, audience-specific documents will be distributed to the appropriate audiences including Chambers of Commerce, economic development groups, tourism associations and groups, State Legislators, agencies, county and city governments, etc. All documents will also be made available on the Division’s website. Finally, a statewide press release will be distributed to the news organizations.
Priority Rating Model Update and Task Force:
The fourth meeting, scheduled for January 23-24 in Casper, was canceled. The next meeting is scheduled for February 27-28 in Casper.
Planning, Land and Environmental Projects:
The following projects are currently under way in the Planning and Programming Program.
- Afton – The Land Acquisition project for AWOS relocation is nearing completion.
- Big Piney – The project for Land and Easement Acquisition has been approved and will be starting. The Sponsor has selected new consultants for planning and engineering consultants. They are in discussions with the FAA and staff about the scope of work.
- Casper – The Sponsor has selected a planning firm to begin work on the new master plan and Wildlife Hazard Assessment plan projects. The master plan working paper No.1 is nearing completion. The wildlife assessment is nearing 50% complete for the field survey portion of the project and has been reviewed by staff.
- Cheyenne – The master plan is now 85% complete. An EA for the potential new terminal at Cheyenne is 75% complete.
- Douglas – The draft ALP is being reviewed by staff and the FAA.
- Dubois – Land acquisition appraisals are underway. Two appraisals have been completed and have been submitted to WYDOT Right of Way and they are under currently under review.
- FT. Bridger – The Sponsor has selected consultants for the new master plan. The Scope has been reviewed by the FAA and staff.
- Gillette – The Airport is pursuing the purchase of a box hangar. The Appraisal and Review Appraisal have been received by staff and the FAA.
- Green River – The Sponsor has selected airport planning and engineering consultants. They have met with local interested parties to discuss future planning activities at Green River. The consultant scope of work and Independent Fee Estimate are underway.
- Greybull – The master plan is now under review by the FAA.
- Jackson – An ALP Update portion of the Operations Enhancement Study is underway. A draft of the drawings has been submitted to the Division and FAA for review.
- Kemmerer – The Sponsor has selected consultants to develop airport planning and engineering documents. Upcoming planning projects include an EA in 2015 to construct a new crosswind runway.
- Lander – The land acquisition project (old rodeo grounds) is underway and the Sponsor selected EA consultants have been developing the EA for relocating the rodeo grounds facilities. The land acquisition process and the process to develop future airport projects are currently under review by staff.
- Rock Springs – The Master Plan is approximately 80% complete. The Wildlife Hazard Assessment project is approximately 40% complete.
- Saratoga – The master plan project has started. Two public meetings have been held. The project is approximately 70% complete.
- Thermopolis – The County has purchased the property for the replacement airport. The process is now underway to identify the affected landowner facilities to be relocated.
- Torrington –The initial start-up meeting for the new master plan was held and the project is underway.
- Wheatland – The Town is going forward with land acquisition projects, their consultant has received FAA approval for the EA process and will help the town with the land acquisition. JM
No update here. Nick will have a brief PowerPoint presentation.
UPCOMING EVENTS & MEETINGS:
Park County Wings and Wheels Air Show and Fly-In – August 15, 2014, Powell Airport.
Lander Airport Fly-In – September 6, 2014, Hunt Field.