Motorcycle Safety Classes
Basic Rider Course
The Basic Rider Course (BRC) was developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. The course is designed for those who have little or no riding experience, although most experienced riders will also benefit from the course. It contains approximately 20 hours of instruction, both in the classroom and on-cycle. Courses start on Friday evening, and continue until Sunday afternoon. Motorcycles will be provided to use during the course. Successful completion of this course will allow a waiver of all testing requirements for a Class M endorsement provided completion card is presented to a Wyoming drivers services within two years of course date.
To qualify for the BRC course, you must:
- be at least 15 years old on the day the course begins.
- be able to ride a bicycle. This course is not designed to teach balance or coordination. Students with balance or coordination problems may find this course prohibitively difficult.
wear proper protective clothing during the on-cycle instruction, including:
- a helmet that meets U.S. DOT standards (one will be provided if you don't have your own)
- eye protection (face shield or glasses)
- over-the-ankle sturdy footwear
- long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- long, nonflare denim pants or equivalent
- full-fingered gloves, preferably leather
- have your parent's written permission to attend the course if under 18.
The fee for the course is $50 for Wyoming residents and $150 for non-residents.
Class schedule will be posted by March 1st.
Class availability can change quickly, so continue to check website often if your preferred class is full.
Walk-ins will be accepted on a first come first serve basis. Class begins promptly at 6pm.
Experienced Rider Course
This is the ERC Suite Skills Plus Rider Course developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It is designed for those who have 3 months or more motorcycling experience or for those who have completed the Basic Rider Course (BRC). Unless you have advanced motorcycling skills, it is strongly recommended that you take the BRC prior to taking this course. It contains approximately 5-6 hours of on-cycle instruction. Short discussions of classroom topics will be held between selected riding exercises. To qualify for a course, you must:
Successfully demonstrate Low Speed Control (Exercise 1) and the objectives of subsequent exercises to continue in ERC.
Note: The Rider Coach Instructor of the course is responsible for making this determination.
- Have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- If under 18 years of age, provide written permission from legal guardian to attend the course.
Provide your own motorcycle for the course that meets the following requirements:
- It must meet all requirements for street operation, including proper registration.
- It must pass a safety inspection by the course instructors.
- It must be properly insured, and you must provide proof of insurance at the course.
- If it is a borrowed motorcycle, you must provide written permission from the owner to use it for the course.
Wear proper protective clothing during the range exercises, including:
- A helmet that meets U.S. DOT standards.
- Eye protection (face shield or glasses)
- Over-the-ankle sturdy footwear
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long, non-flare denim pants or equivalent
- Full-fingered gloves, preferably leather
The fee for the course is $50 for Wyoming residents and $150 for non-residents. You can register online or call (888) 570-9904 or 777-4874 in Cheyenne.