Wyoming Department of Transportation


Commercial Learners Permit (CLP)

The Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDP) will be replaced with the Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) and the requirements will change.
As defined by W.S. 31-7-102(a)(xlviii) - "Commercial learner's permit" means a permit issued to an individual which, when carried with a valid driver's license issued in accordance with this act, authorizes an individual to operate a commercial motor vehicle when accompanied by a passenger holding a valid commercial driver's license for the class and type of vehicle being driven. This type of permit is valid for 180 days and may be renewed for an additional 180 days.
Per W.S. 31-7-110(e) - Any person who holds a valid Wyoming classified driver's license and who is at least eighteen (18) years of age may apply to the division for a commercial learner's permit. The division may, after the person has successfully passed all required examination, other than the driving skills examination and paid the required fee, issue to the person a commercial learner's permit, which entitles the person to drive a commercial motor vehicle on a highway only when accompanied by a person who has a commercial driver's license valid for the type of vehicle driven and who occupies a seat beside the person for the purpose of giving instruction in driving the commercial motor vehicle….

Do I need a CLP?

Yes, if …
  • You are wanting to obtain a CDL for the first time
  • You are upgrading from a lower class CDL to a higher class CDL, such as upgrading from class “B” to a class “A” CDL
  • You are adding an endorsement to your existing CDL, such as adding a school bus or passenger endorsement, that requires a skills test
  • You are removing certain restrictions from your existing CDL, that requires a skills test
When applying for a CLP, you will be required to pass all appropriate written tests for the type of license you are applying.  See the Testing page for more information.

Back to Top