New Drivers License Questions?  Call 307-777-4800 Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed holidays.

New to Wyoming?


If you have recently moved to Wyoming you will need to apply for a Wyoming driver license in person.

You have one year from the time you establish residency to be issued a Wyoming driver license. If the license you currently hold is issued by one of the following states; Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin or is a Commercial Driver License, you must apply for a Wyoming license once you have established residency in Wyoming.

Call 307-777-4800, if you have questions concerning residency requirements.

Note:  If your privilege to drive is withdrawn due to suspension, cancellation, denial, revocation; or if you are disqualified, in Wyoming or any other state, you will not be issued a Wyoming driver license until you have met all the requirements for reinstatement of your driving privileges.  If you are unsure of your driving privilege status, you can stop by your local driver exam office and the examiner at the front counter will run a check of your status through the Problem Driver Pointer System (PDPS). You are required to show the examiner identification when you ask them to run the check.

Applying for a Wyoming Driver License

You must appear in person at your local driver exam station to apply for a first-time Wyoming driver license or to renew your expired Wyoming driver license. You will be asked to surrender your out-of-state issued driver license when you apply for the Wyoming license and present all required  Document Requirements.  You will be photographed and must complete a vision screening evaluation. 

If you have any medical or vision problems, you may be asked to have your doctor complete a Medical and/or a Vision Evaluation form before you can be issued a driver license.

If you require your new Wyoming driver license be mailed to an address other than the one listed on your application, you must complete a Forwarding Request form.

Active-Duty Military

Active-duty military personnel and their dependents are not required to obtain a Wyoming driver license.  However, should you decide to apply for a Wyoming driver license, you are subject to the same requirements as listed above.

An active-duty military member may have the expiration date of his/her license waived. If you present your valid active-duty military ID card when applying for a Wyoming driver license, your license will be issued with an "I" restriction that will waive the expiration date of your Wyoming driver license as long as it is accompanied by active-duty orders or active-duty military ID card. 

Non-US Citizens or Citizens born outside the United States

If you were not born in the United States, you are required to present all Document Requirements when you apply for a Wyoming driver license.  To email requests or questions regarding legal status of licenses for non-citizens.

Veteran Designation

Wyoming veterans have the option of requesting a veteran designation be shown on the front of their Wyoming driver license or identification card. 

The red "V" in the upper right-hand corner of the license or card will allow Wyoming veterans to validate their honorable service with a government-issued identification card.

To qualify for the designation, applicants must submit a verification form and copy of their separation papers (Form DD 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to the Wyoming Veterans Commission. The form is available on the Forms page.

The commission will notify WYDOT Driver Services if an applicant qualifies as an honorably discharged veteran. The Veterans Commission will not keep the DD 214 copies on file, they will be destroyed to protect privacy. The commission will notify the applicant if there is a problem with the separation documents submitted.

Veterans will need to indicate on their driver license or ID card application that they wish to have the veteran designation on their card. Veterans who get their status verified before going to a WYDOT Driver Services office to renew their license should get their new license with the red “V” in the mail in about three weeks.

It is recommended that veterans contact the Veterans Commission for verification at least a week before going to a WYDOT Driver Services office to renew a license. There is no additional fee required to get the veteran designation, but the normal fee charged for a new or renewal license will apply.

Applicants who already have the veteran designation on their license from another state will still be required to have their status verified by the Wyoming Veterans Commission to get the designation when they come in to get a Wyoming license, because some states do not require the veteran to be honorably discharged, as required by Wyoming law.

Veterans Commission contact number is 307-777-8152.


You may be required to take a written and/or a driving skills test when applying for a Wyoming driver license. The driver examiner has the discretion to require either or both tests, based upon personal observation, medical or vision information and other factors. When taking the driving skills test you should be prepared to test in a vehicle that is familiar to you. The vehicle must be of the same class as the driver license you are applying for and Driver Services does not provide any vehicles or motorcycles for testing purposes.  For additional information on testing, visit the Testing page.

Commercial Drivers

Commercial drivers are subject to FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) regulations; therefore, you are required to present a current federal DOT Medical Certificate and/or a DOT long form when applying for a Wyoming CDL license, unless you are exempt from this requirement. If you need assistance determining your qualification category, please refer to the CMV Qualification Category Determination document

If your current CDL license includes a hazardous materials endorsement, you will be required to retake the hazardous materials written test. If you want to add an endorsement when applying for a Wyoming CDL, you may be required to take both the written and driving skills tests appropriate for the type of endorsement. 

Driving skills tests for CDL drivers must be scheduled. The examiner will schedule the driving skills test once you have paid the $80 skills test fee and passed any required written testing. Written tests are free of charge and you must provide your own commercial class vehicle for the type of license you are seeking.