Eligibility for Exempt Plates
Submit to WYDOT a letter stating that the vehicles are owned by or leased to one of the following:
- United States
- State of Wyoming
- Political Subdivision of Wyoming or Joint Powers Board created under W.S. 16-1-101 through W.S. 16-1-109
- Irrigation District created under W.S. 41-7-201 through W.S. 41-7-210
- Weed and Pest Control District created under W.S. 11-5-101 - provided the vehicles are essential to the operation and maintenance of the district and are used for no business or commercial activity unrelated to the operation and maintenance of the district
- Senior Citizen Center that is providing services to senior citizens under W.S. 18-2-105
Describe how the vehicles will be used. (**Weed and Pest Control District vehicles can only be used for operation and maintenance of the district**)
Confirm that the public entity has the authority to possess and operate the vehicle in fulfillment of its public purpose.
Purchasing/Transferring Exempt Plates:
Once you are an approved public/government entity:
- Provide a copy of the title in the name of the entity, or a copy of the lease agreement to the government entity
- Provide the color of the vehicle
- Provide the plate number if transferring a set of plates from one vehicle to another
- Provide payment to "WYDOT": The cost for a new set of plates is $5. The cost to transfer a set of plates to a new vehicle is $2.
For further information please contact Motor Vehicle Services at 307-777-4710.