2017 Squaretop Mountain – Green River Lakes Plate Series Frequently Asked Questions

0-SMPL for website.jpgCV.jpgALUMNI-Pt.jpgDV.jpgAR.jpgAF.jpg



Q: Do I have to get a new license plate?
A: Yes. Every Wyoming license plate (with the exception of Pioneer plates) must be replaced in the 2017 registration year.   Per WSS 31-2-213(b), Wyoming license plate designs must be changed every eight years.

Q: Can I get a Prestige Plate combination with more than four characters?
Yes, 2017 series Prestige Plates will now allow combinations of up to five characters.

Q: When/where can I order a five character Prestige Plate combination?
: You may order these plates beginning October 3, 2016 by doing one of the following:
• Online (recommended): Go to https://jweb.dot.state.wy.us/SpecialtyPlates/ and click “Request a New Prestige Plate”. Once you have completed the online order process, you will be able to pay with a credit card ($2.50 service charge) or mail the online confirmation form in with a check/money order payable to WYDOT
• By mail: You may obtain the application form from your County Treasurer or by visiting dot.state.wy.us. Mailing instructions and fees are included on the form.
Due to increased call volumes during the renewal period, we will not accept phone orders.

Q: If I have an existing specialty plate, will I be able to keep my existing plate number?
It depends. Holders of Prestige, UW, EMT, Custom Vehicle, Street Rod, Firefighter, and Military Plates (except National Guard) will get the option to reorder the same combination, and will receive notification 2-3 months prior to their registration renewal date in 2017 with instructions on how to reorder. Veteran plates numbered less than 999 will have the option to keep their existing numbers. National Guard plate holders will NOT keep the same numbers—these plate numbers will be assigned by the National Guard based on rank and rank date. Holders of regular numbered county plates should contact their County Treasurer to find out if they will be able keep their current numbers.

Q: Will county numbers on the new plates be stacked?
Yes. All two-digit county numbers on regular county, Prestige and UW plates will now be stacked.

Q: What should I do to make sure I get my renewal notification?
Make sure the address on your vehicle registration is your current mailing address. That is the address where your renewal notification will be sent. The renewal notification will be a postcard, so be careful not to throw it away.

Q: Will a vehicle type code appear after the county number on my plates?
All Truck (T), Commercial (C) Prestige Plates will now feature vehicle type codes after the county number, to the left of the bucking horse emblem. UW P/T plates will feature an “A” type code.
Trailer, House Trailer, and Commercial Trailer plates will feature vehicle type codes in place of the bucking horse emblem.
Q: I have not received my renewal notification. What should I do?
: If you are less than 60 days from your 2017 registration expiration date, contact WYDOT Motor Vehicle Services at 307-777-4709/4717/4710 to request a PIN (for online renewal) or a replacement renewal application. If you are more than 60 days from expiration date, you do not need to do anything.

Q: Will I have to pay a fee for my renewal plates?
You will pay the fee associated with your plate type. Prestige, EMT, Amateur Radio and Firefighter plates will cost $30.00. UW Plates will cost $130.00. Veteran plates (except Choice DV) will cost $50.00. Add an additional $50.00 if you would like the plates to be embossed. There will be a $2.50 processing charge for online credit card orders.

Q: I had a 2009 series specialty plate, but I want to change my plate number/combination
This is a new plate order. You may place orders for new 2017 series specialty plates any time after October 3, 2016 by using the online application at https://jweb.dot.state.wy.us/SpecialtyPlates/ or by submitting the proper form and fee. All Prestige Plate combinations are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Veteran, Military, Disabled Veteran, EMT and Fire Fighter plates are issued in numerical order. UW plate numbers are assigned by the UW Alumni Association. Contact UWAA at 307-766-4166 to inquire about the availability of numbers for UW plates.

Q: Can I order/pay for my plates online?
Yes. When you receive your renewal notification, it will include a PIN and instructions to complete the process online. Starting October 3, 2016, we will also accept online orders and credit card payments for new plate orders. There is a $2.50 service charge for credit card transactions.

Q: How do I check the status of my plate order?
Go to the website to check your order. Enter your order number, phone number, or plate information, and click “Check Order Status” in the appropriate box.

Q: I ordered plates, but I need to change/cancel my order. What should I do?
Contact WYDOT MVS during normal business hours to request cancellation (email the office or call 307-777-4709/4717/4710.
The following is WYDOT’s cancellation policy:
• We will cancel/change any order prior to the receipt of payment
• If an order is paid for by credit card, the $2.50 processing fee is non-refundable. The remaining portion of the fee may be refunded as long as the cancellation request is received prior to the production/issuance of plates. Prestige plate combinations may be changed at any time prior to printing, if the new combination is available and acceptable. Once plates are sent to be printed or issued to the county (whichever comes first), the entire portion of the fee is non-refundable and the order cannot be changed.
• If an order is paid for by cash or check, the order may be cancelled and the check returned prior to the check being deposited by WYDOT. Once the check is deposited, the fee is non-refundable; however, if a Prestige plate has been ordered, the plate combination may be changed at any point prior to printing, if the new combination is available and acceptable. Once plates are sent to be printed or issued to the county (whichever comes first), the order cannot be changed.
• There is no refund for ordering a plate of the wrong vehicle type. If you are unsure what plate type your vehicle requires, contact your county treasurer.

Q: I have ordered specialty plates, but they will not arrive prior to my current registration expiration date. What should I do?
You may renew your registration and obtain a regular county plate. Once your specialty plate is available, you can return your plate/registration to the county treasurer and exchange them for your specialty plate.

Q:  My question isn’t answered here. Where can I get help?
 You can visit the website for forms and information for most plate types. You can also send an email with your name and question. Or, you can call 307-777-4709, 307-777-4717 or 307-777-4710, or visit the WYDOT Motor Vehicle Services office at the WYDOT Headquarters in Cheyenne. Our hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.