Motorcycle Safety Classes
Basic Rider Course
This is the Basic Rider Course developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It's designed for those who have little or no riding experience, although most experienced riders will also benefit from the course. It contains approximately 20 hours of instruction, both in the classroom and on-cycle. Courses start on Friday evening, and continue until Sunday afternoon. Motorcycles will be provided to use during the course. Successful completion of this course will allow a waiver of all testing for a motorcycle operators license for 2 years. To qualify for a course, you must:
- be at least 15 years old on the day the course begins.
- be mentally and physically capable of being licensed as a motorcycle operator in Wyoming.
- be able to ride a bicycle. This course is not designed to teach balance or coordination. Students with balance or coordination problems may find this course prohibitively difficult.
wear proper protective clothing during the on-cycle instruction, including:
- a helmet that meets U.S. DOT standards (one will be provided if you don't have your own)
- eye protection (face shield or glasses)
- over-the-ankle sturdy footwear
- long-sleeved shirt or jacket
- long, nonflare denim pants or equivalent
- full-fingered gloves, preferably leather
- have your parent's written permission to attend the course if under 18.
The fee for the course is $50 for Wyoming residents and $150 for non-residents.
You can view a schedule of classes and locations and register for a class online, or call (888) 570-9904 or 777-4874 in Cheyenne.
Walk-ins will be accepted if a scheduled student fails to show up. Classes will be cancelled if there are not at least 4 students with submitted applications by Tuesday preceding the class date.
Experienced Rider Course
This is the ERC Suite Skills Plus Rider Course developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It is designed for those who have 3 months or more motorcycling experience or for those who have completed the Basic Rider Course (BRC). Unless you have advanced motorcycling skills, it is strongly recommended that you take the BRC prior to taking this course. It contains approximately 5-6 hours of on-cycle instruction. Short discussions of classroom topics will be held between selected riding exercises. To qualify for a course, you must:
Successfully demonstrate Low Speed Control (Exercise 1) and the objectives of subsequent exercises to continue in ERC.
Note: The Rider Coach Instructor of the course is responsible for making this determination.
- Have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement.
- If under 18 years of age, provide written permission from legal guardian to attend the course.
Provide your own motorcycle for the course that meets the following requirements:
- It must meet all requirements for street operation, including proper registration.
- It must pass a safety inspection by the course instructors.
- It must be properly insured, and you must provide proof of insurance at the course.
- If it is a borrowed motorcycle, you must provide written permission from the owner to use it for the course.
Wear proper protective clothing during the range exercises, including:
- A helmet that meets U.S. DOT standards.
- Eye protection (face shield or glasses)
- Over-the-ankle sturdy footwear
- Long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Long, non-flare denim pants or equivalent
- Full-fingered gloves, preferably leather
The fee for the course is $50 for Wyoming residents and $150 for non-residents. You can register online or call (888) 570-9904 or 777-4874 in Cheyenne.