How to Request a Crash Report


The Office of Data Quality Control and Assurance is the "keeper" of the crash reports.  We collect all crash reports from all law enforcement agencies throughout Wyoming.  We work diligently with law enforcement agencies to ensure the crash reports are kept and distributed per State Statute.

If you are interested in requesting a crash report, you will need to contact Highway Safety with the following information.

  • Case number (if you have it)
  • Name of person involved
  • Date of Crash
  • Your email address
  • Your phone number

Requests for crash reports can be made in one of three ways:

  • In person at the Cheyenne WYDOT Office, 5300 Bishop Blvd.
  • Over the phone by calling Highway Safety at (307) 777-4450.   
  • By mail to the following address.  (Please specify if you want to receive your report via paper copy, email or fax).    

                           Wyoming Department of Transportation
                            Attention:  Highway Safety
                            5300 Bishop Blvd.
                            Cheyenne, WY  82009

There is a $3.00 charge for crash reports, plus a $2.50 service fee if you pay by credit card.  We accept most major credit cards, and payment can be processed over the phone,.  Alternatively, WYDOT accepts money orders or checks (payable to WYDOT) which can be mailed or dropped off in-person when you make your request. Payment is due at the time of request. Upon receipt of payment, reports can usually be provided immediately when requested in-person or by phone.  

For additional questions, contact Highway Safety at (307) 777-4450.

Reporting a Crash

As of July 1, 2013 in accordance with House Bill 0152 an Owner/Operator Crash Form (PR-901) is no longer required.  However, drivers involved in a traffic accident are still required to notify the nearest law enforcement agency about the traffic accident, so if you have been involved in a crash, please contact 911 or your local law enforcement agency: Wyoming Highway Patrol, County Sheriff, or local City Police Department. 

31-5-1105. Notice required of driver.

The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person, in property damage to another or others to an apparent extent of at least one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) or in any vehicle, excluding bicycles or any other vehicle moved solely by human power, becoming so disabled as to prevent its normal and safe operation, shall immediately by the quickest means of communication give notice of the accident to the local police department if the accident occurs within a municipality, otherwise to the nearest office of the state highway patrol or to the office of the county sheriff.