Wyoming veterans have the option of requesting a veteran designation be shown on the front of their Wyoming driver license or identification card.

The red "V" in the upper right-hand corner of the license or card OR the word VETERAN in the bottom right-hand corner (licenses/ID cards issued after 11/27/2019) will allow Wyoming veterans to validate their honorable service with a government-issued identification card.

To qualify for the designation, applicants must submit a verification form and copy of their separation papers (Form DD 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to the Wyoming Veterans Commission. The form is available here.

The commission will notify WYDOT Driver Services if an applicant qualifies as an honorably discharged veteran. The Veterans Commission will not keep the DD 214 copies on file, they will be destroyed to protect privacy. The commission will notify the applicant if there is a problem with the separation documents submitted.

Veterans will need to indicate on their driver license or ID card application that they wish to have the veteran designation on their card. Veterans who get their status verified before going to a WYDOT Driver Services office to renew their license should get their new license with the VETERAN designation in the mail in about four to six weeks.

It is recommended that veterans contact the Veterans Commission for verification at least a week before going to a WYDOT Driver Services office to renew a license. There is no additional fee required to get the veteran designation, but the normal fee charged for a new or renewal license will apply.

Applicants who already have the veteran designation on their license from another state are not required to have their status verified by the Wyoming Veterans Commission to get the designation when they come in to get a Wyoming license. Simply show your out of state credential to the Examiner at your local exam station, and the designation will be added to your new Wyoming Credential.

Veterans Commission contact number is 307-777-8152.