Non-Resident Violator Compact Suspension Requirements

What is a nonresident violator compact (NRVC) suspension?

Nonresident violator compact is the name of the law that ensures equal treatment of non-residents and residents. When a driver is stopped and issued a citation by law enforcement, the officer can let the driver continue on his/her way without requiring the driver to post bond. If the driver later fails to comply, by paying the fine or going to court on the scheduled court date, the driver’s licensing state will suspend his/her driver's driving privileges until the driver complies

Why am I suspended for an accident that is not my fault?

Wyoming law states that any person who drives on a roadway maintained for public use in the State of Wyoming carry liability insurance of at least 25,000/50,000/20,000.  In addition, the law states all drivers involved in an accident that causes over $1,000 in property damage or injury to a person not in your immediate household must provide proof of current liability insurance.  Driver Services uses an online verification system to confirm coverage for these drivers.  When Driver Services is unable to confirm coverage, the Wyoming law requires suspension action against that driver’s driving privileges; regardless of fault or residency.

What steps do I take to clear up an Uninsured Accident Suspension?

  1. The letter you receive from Driver Services advising you of an Uninsured Accident Suspension will list four options to prevent or end the suspension:
  2. Submit a verified SR-21 form  to the department indicating you had liability insurance on the vehicle at the time of the accident. It must be completed in full and verified by your insurance agent or insurance company. Do not send your insurance policy.
  3. Submit security in the form of a certified check (no personal checks), or a certificate of deposit, duly assigned to the Department in the amount listed in the letter.
  4. Submit a notarized release  from the other party(s) or their insurance company.  The release must contain the date of the accident and the names of all parties involved.
  5. Submit a notarized conditional release of liability signed by yourself and the other party(s) or their insurance company indicating that you are making payments for damages as a result of this accident. The conditional release must contain the date of the accident and the names of all the parties involved.
  6. Your letter will also list the name(s) of the other party involved, the amount of damages, and the date your suspension will begin. If the suspension is allowed to begin, there will be an SR22 Financial Responsibility filing requirement as well as a $50 reinstatement fee.

How can I pay my reinstatement fee?

In person - pay the fee at your local driver exam office.

By mail - send the required fee by personal check, money order, or certified funds to: WYDOT-Driver Services, 5300 Bishop Blvd, Cheyenne, 82009-3340 (the check must include your full name and driver license number and/or date of birth).

By phone - call a representative at (307) 777-4800 for instructions to pay by credit card.

NOTE: Never send cash through the mail.

What do I need to do to satisfy an SR22 requirement?

You will need to contact an insurance company authorized to write policies in the State of Wyoming and pay for an SR22.  SR22 is a form notifying this Department that the driver with the requirement has a valid insurance policy.  The SR22 is typically sent to Driver Services electronically within 24 – 72 hours after purchase.

I have moved out of state and have an SR22 requirement, what do I need to do?

Wyoming will release you from your SR22 requirement by filling out a Non-resident proof of financial responsibility form.

Please note: you may still owe a reinstatement fee!

Where do I pay my citation?

Citations are paid to the court, for court contact information visit the Wyoming Judicial Branch website.