Salvage Yard Compliance


Salvage Yard Compliance is Regulated by the Compliance and Investigation Program

Investigators conduct educational compliance reviews, respond to complaints filed against salvage yards, and conduct investigations of law violations. 

Regulations that Apply to Salvage Yards (Vehicle Storage and Disposal Facilities):

  • A salvage yard operator must obtain a Vehicle Storage & Disposal Facility License in order to conduct business.
  • A Vehicle Storage & Disposal Facility License SHALL NOT be issued in an area with residential zoning
  • A salvage yard operator must maintain a record of every vehicle, vehicle body, chassis or engine received, sold, wrecked or dismantled for three years.
  • A salvage yard operator must obtain a properly executed title for every vehicle received, and shall provide a title for every vehicle sold at the time of delivery
  • A salvage yard operator shall surrender the title for every vehicle wrecked, dismantled, or changed in a manner that it is no longer a vehicle;  to the Wyoming Department of Transportation for cancellation of the title.
  • A salvage yard operator shall examine the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of every vehicle coming into his possession, unless the vehicle is received strictly for repairs that do not require replacement of any component that bears a VIN.

Auto Recycler, Junk Yard and Salvage Yard Reporting Requirements for NMVTIS

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) Compliance

The Anti-Car Theft Act and  NMVTIS Final Rule (Federal Law 28 CFR Part 25) requires auto recyclers, salvage yards and junk yards to report information on vehicles they acquire to the NMVTIS System. 

When is the NMVTIS Information Due?

  • Auto recyclers, junk yards, and salvage yards will be required to provide vehicle information to NMVTIS on a monthly basis according to the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA).
  • Information will be required to be reported on each salvage vehicle taken into inventory  from March 1, 2009 forward. Further information can be obtained on AAMVA's NMVTIS web page.

How does the information get reported to NMVTIS?

  • Auto recyclers, junk yards, and salvage yards must report information to NMVTIS through a third party data consolidator, which information can be found on the NMVTIS Reporting Entities web page

What information is required to be reported to NMVTIS?

  • Name, address, and contact information for reporting entity
  • VIN
  • Date vehicle was obtained
  • Name of individual or entity from whom the automobile was obtained
  • Disposition of the vehicle (including if it was exported outside of the U.S.)

Do you need to file a complaint against a Salvage Yard relating to the storage or dismantling of a vehicle?

Do you need to contact an Investigator regarding a Salvage Yard?