CDL and DOT Medical Questions?  Call 307-777-4800 option #4 for a representative, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed holidays.

Commercial Drivers License (CDL)

Generally, if the vehicle you drive has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, or is designed to carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver), or you transport hazardous material in an amount which must be placarded, then you are required to have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate that vehicle. If you need more detailed information to determine if you are required to hold a CDL, please refer to the “Do You Need a CDL?” chart shown below.

Entry-Level Driver Training

The Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) regulations set uniform minimum training standards for entry level drivers seeking to obtain certain commercial driver licenses (CDLs) and CDL endorsements as established in 49 CFR part 380 subpart F.

Entry level drivers include those applying to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade a Class B to a Class A CDL;
  • Obtain a School Bus (S), Passenger (P), or Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

For more information on ELDT Requirements, click here.


Use the links to the right to find specific information concerning ELDT requirements, disqualifications, endorsements/class of licenses, testing, Commercial Learners Permit (CLP), and driver certification.
Do You Need a CDL-compressed.jpg

Commercial Drivers

Commercial drivers are subject to FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) regulations; therefore, you are required to present a current federal DOT Medical Certificate when applying for a Wyoming CDL license, unless you are exempt from this requirement. If you need assistance determining your qualification category, please refer to the CMV Qualification Category Determination document.

If your current CDL license includes a hazardous materials endorsement, you will be required to retake the hazardous materials written test. If you want to add an endorsement when applying for a Wyoming CDL, you may be required to take both the written and driving skills tests appropriate for the type of endorsement.

Driving skills tests for CDL drivers must be scheduled. The examiner will schedule the driving skills test once you have paid the $80 skills test fee and passed any required written testing. Written tests are free of charge and you must provide your own commercial class vehicle for the type of license you are seeking.

After skills testing is completed, the applicant must pay for and be issued a CDL prior to the expiration date of the CLP.

Federal DOT Medical Examiners Certification

A Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration physical is required when applying for a CDL unless exempted by FMCSA Part 390.3(f), 391.2, 391.68, and 398.3.  Information regarding this topic is available on the FMCSA website.  For more information on Driver Certification and its relationship to the Federal DOT Medical Examiners Certification, please visit the Driver Certification page.

Intrastate Waiver

For Commercial Driver License holders who are not physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle under Title 49 C.F.R. Part 391.41 due to vision, hearing or diabetes, or a driver with a loss or impairment of limbs (arms, hands, fingers, legs or feet), the State of Wyoming will review the medical history of the driver who wants to operate motor vehicles intrastate, solely within the State of Wyoming.
The National Certified Examiner’s statement must show that the driver’s medical condition is not likely to interfere with the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and the doctor’s opinion is that the driver’s condition is likely to remain stable for the amount of time that the medical certificate is valid. 
The driver is required to obtain a U.S. Department of Transportation Medical Examiner’s Certificate from a National Registered Certified Examiner.  The section “Accompanied by a ____ waiver/exemption” shall be selected by the Medical Examiner, and the words “Intrastate”, “State” or “Wyoming” filled in the blank.  Upon approval, the State of Wyoming will place a Restriction of “K” on the Commercial Driver License holder’s license. 

Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE) Waivers

Drivers with physical impairments which affect their ability to safely operate CMVs according to their medical examiners, or with missing limbs (e.g., a hand or finger, an arm, foot or leg), are required to obtain SPE certificates.  Drivers in need of an SPE Waiver must contact FMCSA, as this is not a function of the State.

Questions regarding federal regulations for commercial drivers should be directed to or by calling 307-772-2305.

Driver License Fees

Effective July 1, 2021, driver license fees will increase per state law. See the FAQ page, or the below link.

Driver License Fee Updates

Contact Us

Questions or requests regarding CDL issues