Special Announcement

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has allowed states to give those drivers with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HME) a temporary exemption for a period of up to 180 days for those individuals whose Security Threat Assessment (STA) will expire between July 1, 2022 and December 27, 2022.  Individuals interested in the exemptions must apply for this extension at your local exam station.  Individuals taking advantage of this exemption must provide proof at the time of the request that they have initiated the STA with TSA.

Hazmat Assessment

Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) Requirements:  All first time applicants for Hazmat must complete the ELDT theory training for Hazardous Materials prior to taking the knowledge test as per CFR 49 part 383 subpart F. Those drivers who have previously held the Hazmat endorsement on their CDL may qualify for a grandfather exemption.
Hazmat Assessment:  Before Driver Services can issue or renew a CDL license with a Hazardous Materials endorsement, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) must complete a security threat assessment to determine if you pose a security threat. Once the assessment is completed, you will receive a letter in the mail from TSA.  Upon receipt, present your approval letter from TSA to your local driver exam office to apply for the CDL license with the hazardous materials endorsement. You must pass all required test(s) and Driver Services must have received clearance from TSA prior to issuing the license.
NOTE:  You should allow at least 30-60 days to complete the TSA application and fingerprinting process. If you choose to be issued a CDL without the hazardous materials endorsement pending approval from TSA, you are required to reapply and pay another licensing fee once the assessment has been completed and approved to have the endorsement added to your CDL. Driver Services must be notified by TSA that you are approved before your hard-copy license can be released.
First-Time Hazmat Applicants: Are required to complete the assessment prior to being issued a CDL driver license with the hazardous materials endorsement. You must complete the ELDT Hazmat training before taking the required knowledge test for the Hazardous Materials endorsement.
Applicants renewing their Wyoming CDL with Hazardous Materials Endorsements: Must renew in person and complete the assessment prior to renewing. You will be required to pass the knowledge test for Hazardous Materials each time you renew to retain the endorsement. You cannot renew by mail if you want to retain the Hazardous Materials endorsement.
Applicants transferring their out-of-state CDL to a Wyoming CDL: If you have completed a TSA assessment in another state within the previous five years, the examiner will have to verify with the TSA website your approval date.  The Wyoming CDL license with the Hazardous Materials endorsement will be issued only for the time period left on your five year TSA assessment. You may choose to complete a new TSA assessment prior to being issued the Wyoming CDL if you would like to be issued a full-term license. You will be required to pass the knowledge test for Hazardous Materials to retain the endorsement.
Federal Hazardous Materials assessment information is available at https://universalenroll.dhs.gov or by calling 855-347-8371.
Questions regarding federal regulations for commercial drivers should be directed to www.fmcsa.dot.gov or by calling 307-772-2305.