Non-Commercial Classes of Licenses

The class of license you are issued is dependent upon the type of vehicle that you drive. Wyoming Law  [W.S. 31-7-109]  defines the class code that is assigned to a driver's license based upon the type of vehicle driven.

The different class codes for non-commercial licensing are:

Class “C” Vehicle:  Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles, except motorcycles, that does not require a commercial driver license.  Any person under the age of eighteen (18) is prohibited from operating a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one (26,001) pounds or more. May operate off-road recreational vehicles and mopeds.

Class "M" Motorcycle: Motorcycles and 3-wheel trikes which may be added to a license valid for any other class, or may be issued as the only class on a license if the applicant is not licensed for any other classification.

Class "I": Indicates license is an "instruction permit".

Restricted Class "RC," "RC-M" or "RM": May operate a non-commercial Class “C” and/or “M” vehicle within the following restrictions: (1) Valid only between the hours of 5 a.m. and 8 p.m., (2) within a 50-mile radius of their domicile, and (3) only at the direction of their parent or guardian.

Class “I2": May operate a non-commercial  Class “C” vehicle within the following restrictions: (1) May drive only between the hours of 5 a.m. and 11 p.m., (2) cannot transport more than 1 passenger under the age of 18 years who is not an immediate family member, and (3) the licensee must ensure that all occupants in the vehicle are wearing seat belts.

Z Endorsement:  The Z endorsement authorizes the holder of a class C license to operate a recreational vehicle or combination of vehicles which have a gross vehicle weight rating of thirty-nine thousand one (39,001) pounds or more.  The driver will need to complete a written test, and either take a skills test in a representative vehicle or submit an affidavit of competency signed by a person currently licensed to operate a vehicle of this weight.

For more information on commercial licenses.