Wyoming Department of Transportation

State Assigned VIN

Homemade Vehicles and State-Assigned VINs

State-assigned vehicle identification numbers (VIN) are issued to homemade or rebuilt vehicles which do not have a VIN, and to vehicles which have more than one VIN.

Vehicle owners shall apply to WYDOT for a state-assigned VIN if:

  • Any part of the vehicle on which the VIN appears is replaced
  • A vehicle part containing the VIN is incorporated into another vehicle.

A Wyoming VIN can only be issued to Wyoming residents.

The department shall determine that the applicant for the VIN is the lawful owner of the vehicle. The vehicle will require a VIN inspection to accompany the application. A law enforcement officer must perform the inspection.  NEW REQUIREMENT:  ALL applicants must submit a photograph of the completed vehicle or trailer; regardless of the circumstances surrounding the absence of a VIN.


Kelly Yerdon
WYDOT-Motor Vehicle Services
5300 Bishop Boulevard
Cheyenne WY  82009

Wyoming State Assigned VIN Application

Back to Top