Vehicle Dealerships are regulated by the Compliance & Investigation Program
Educational compliance reviews are conducted to determine dealership compliance, respond to complaints filed against Wyoming dealerships, issue citations for law violations, and conduct criminal investigations.
Regulations that apply to Vehicle Dealers in Wyoming:
- A Vehicle Dealer License is required for any person selling three or more vehicles in a 12-month period.
- A Franchise Vehicle Dealer License is required for any person selling brand new vehicles with a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO).
- A vehicle dealer is required to maintain a principal place of business with a sign indicating the nature of the business and a landline telephone.
- A vehicle dealer is required to keep a daily record of all vehicles taken into inventory and all vehicles sold for three years.
- A vehicle dealer is required to deliver the title to a vehicle purchased by a customer at the time of delivery of the vehicle unless the title is being held by a financial institution or vehicle auctioneer, in such case the title must be delivered within 30 days.
- A vehicle dealer must properly issue and use temporary permits and dealer plates.
- A motor vehicle dealer must apply for an organized vehicle show permit to sell vehicles from an authorized location other than the dealership.
Do you need to file a formal complaint against a vehicle dealer?
Do you need to find a vehicle dealer investigator in your area?
What information is required to be available during a Compliance Review?
Vehicle Dealer and Wyoming Based Manufacturer License Plate Compliance
LOST or STOLEN Dealer Plate Report Form.pdf(133.23 KB)Required to Report any Dealer Full Use or Demo, or Wyoming Based Manufacturer License Plates that have been lost or stolen.WYDOT Dealer Plate Rules.pdf(108.49 KB)Download WYDOT Rules & Regulations and Wyoming Statutes Governing Dealer and Wyoming Based Manufacturerer License PlatesWYDOT Temporary Permit Rules.pdf(68.11 KB)Download WYDOT Rules & Regulations and Statutes Governing Temporary Registration Permits issued by Licensed Dealers